||Blackrod, Lancashire, , England
||Blackrod, Lancashire, , England
||3 Jun 2010 |
||William Norreys, b. 1130, Bereford, Yorkshire, , England , d. 1196, Osgood Manor, Yorkshire, , England |
| ||1. Alicia Norreys|
| ||2. Geoffrey le Norreys, b. 1198, Blackrod, Lancashire, , England |
| ||3. Hugh le Norreys, b. 1200, Blackrod, Lancashire, , England |
|>||4. Alan le Norreys, b. 1202, Blackrod, Lancashire, , England , d. 1276, Blackrod, Lancashire, , England |
| ||5. William le Norreys, b. 1204, Blackrod, Lancashire, , England , d. 1246|
| ||6. Adam le Norreys, b. 1206, Blackrod, Lancashire, , England |
| ||7. Robert le Norreys, b. 1208, Blackrod, Lancashire, , England |
- Early history
The early history of the manor of Haigh cannot be traced. About 1220–1230 it belonged to the Marsey fee, sold to Ranulf, Earl of Chester. A Hugh de Haigh, (Hugh le Norreys), to whom the adjacent Blackrod was granted, paid 3 marks in 1193–4 for having the king's good will. Richard de Orrell granted to Cockersand Abbey land in Haigh, adjacent to Hugh's ridding, about 1220; and as a century later Sir Robert de Holland held it of the Earl of Lancaster, together with other manors which had belonged to Richard de Orrell, it might be supposed that Haigh was part of the Orrell family's holding. In 1282, however, Hugh son of Alan le Norreys was lord of Haigh.
In 1295 William de Bradshaigh, acquired Haigh and Blackrod Manors by marrying Mabel le Norreys de Haghe and Blackrode, which were Mabel's right as heir of the last-named Hugh le Norreys. William from his name is supposed to have been a descendant of the Bradshaghs of Bradshaw, near Turton.
In 1302 William de Bradshagh held the twelfth part of a knight's fee in Haigh of the Earl of Lancaster. Sir William absented himself from Haigh, for his share in Adam Banastre's rebellion against the Earl of Lancaster in 1315 and the death of Henry de Bury. He was outlawed for felony and by 1317 his manors of Haigh and Blackrod had been taken into the king's hands and demised to Peter de Limesey, but Mabel de Haigh intruded herself. Sir William appears to have been killed at Winwick in August 1333.
However, according to legend, ten years after leaving, Bradshaigh returned in 1324 - from the wars in Scotland - and promptly killed his wife's new husband, Sir Osmond Nevile, a Welsh knight. She had remarried, thinking Sir William had perished. Sir William made her walk barefoot and dressed in sackcloth from Wigan to Haigh Hall, once a week, for the rest of her life. The account was made into a novel by Sir Walter Scott, and the event is still marked by Mab's Cross, in Wigan Lane.
Mabel's title to the Norreys' lands must have been recognised, for in 1336 and 1337, when a widow and childless, she arranged for the succession to the manors as absolute owner, granting them to her husband's nephews; Haigh to William, a son of John de Bradshagh, and Blackrod to Roger, son of Richard, who was another son. In 1338 she founded a chantry in Wigan Church for her husband's soul and her own, as also for the soul of Edward II. In 1346 Mabel de Bradshagh, heir of Hugh le Norreys, held the manor of Haigh for the twelfth part of a knight's fee and by the service of 10d., yearly.
Early in 1365 Roger de Bradshagh of Westleigh demanded the manor of Haigh from William de Bradshagh and Sir Henry de Trafford, in virtue of the settlement of 1312. There may have been two Williams in succession, for William de Bradshagh, who died in 1380 seised of the manor of Haigh, left a son and heir Thomas only twelve years of age. Thomas de Bradshagh took part in the Percy rising of 1403 and was present at the Battle of Shrewsbury; afterwards he received a pardon from Henry IV.
Apart from the Bradshaw family there do not seem to have been any important landowners. In 1540, an antiquarian called John Leland reported that Sir Roger Bradshaigh had discovered a plentiful shallow seam of smooth, hard, Cannel Coal on his estate. The deposit came to be known as the Great Haigh Fault. The shallow depth of the Cannel meant that it was suitable for the simple surface mining methods available at that time. It could be worked and carved, and was an excellent light fuel which burned with a bright flame, it was easily lit and left virtually no ash. Widely used for domestic lighting in the early 19th century, before the incandescent gas mantle was available, it gradually lost favour; as the use of coal gas made it obsolete.
Roger Bradshaigh, M.P.,was created Bradshaigh of Haigh, in the Baronetage of England in 1679. The title became extinct in 1779. Edward Bradshaigh, a Carmelite friar – known as Elias à Jesu – was the fourth son of Roger Bradshaigh, of Haigh Hall. Three of his brothers were Jesuits, and one brother was a secular priest. d. Benfold, 25 September, 1652. Sir Roger Bradshaigh was Father of the House in the House of Commons from 1738 to 1747.
- Hugh de Haigh (Hugh le Norreys)
- Norris of Speke Arms
- [S-1449723651] Public Member Trees, Ancestry.com, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006.Original data - Family trees submitted by Ancestry members.Original data: Family trees submitted by Ancestry members.), Ancestry Family Trees.